Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Silence >>>

Hello World! It's been a while  :)

I don't know about you guys, but I can be SO LOUD sometimes. When I'm talking about something that I am passionate about or when I am fighting with someone, usually it will not be in whispers. I'm one of those people who will be very critical, sometimes, and brutally honest, sometimes :) (But believe me I have a HUGE heart for people :) ). In certain situations being like this comes in handy but when it comes to relationships it might be more harmful than encouraging.

I have a friend named Jean and I've noticed, and other people have noticed too, that most of the time we are together we are arguing, not because we are mad at each other but because we are very different, coming from different backgrounds, and we try to support our points of views. We are both passionate people and when we talk about certain things we tend to clash.

Speaking your mind is not something bad at all. We all have the right to speak up and voice our opinions, but it's not always the wisest thing to do.

Sometimes it is better to be silent.

As I read Proverbs 17: 27-28 in my devotional this morning, I noticed the common theme of silence.

"He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips he is considered perceptive."

If I'm in a situation where I'm arguing with someone, it's not wise for me to add "wood to the fire" with my words but it's my turn to be quiet and listen. After all, God gave us two ears and one mouth. There is no reason to harm a relationship because I feel like being right all the time. My relationship with Jean is worth SO MUCH MORE than my pride. Honestly, this is something I have to work on A LOT because I always want to be right, but only God is right all the time and He's telling me to be quiet...even if it's SUPER hard for me.

I encourage you today to make wise choice about when are you going to speak, or when you'll stay silent. Our relationships with our friends and family come first and in the book of James the author dedicates almost a WHOLE chapter to the words that come out of our mouths, which have more impact than we realize.

Sometimes it is better to be silent.

:)




No comments:

Post a Comment